Captain Larry Vasquez, Naval Base Ventura County Commanding Officer, visited the schools serving military housing. Hueneme High School was honored to host Captain Vasquez.
DIA DE LOS MUERTOS
For Day of the Day, the students from Chicano Literature created altars to honor people who have died. Their altars were dedicated to family and celebrities. Students worked in small groups and researched the holiday. Additionally, they wrote a letter describing the holiday and a poem dedicated to the deceased they were honoring to show what was special about that person. The altars will be displayed in the library for another week.
HHS STUDENTS AGAINST ANIMAL CRUELTY
Hueneme Students Against Animal Cruelty, volunteered their time to help the Non Profit Rosie’s Rescue with their education and fund raising event! Students sold shirts, walked dogs, and chatted with the public about how to better care for their pets, reduced spade and neutering clinics, and how to stop cruelty to animals. Big thank you to all the Hueneme and other OUHSD Students that volunteered their time to this great cause!
Lourdes Aguilar, Mayte Ipatzi, and Elliot V.
This Friday, November 14th, AVID students had a presentation about AB 540 by our tutors. During this presentation, some of our own tutors shared their personal stories about being AB 540 students. An update on the presentation will be in next week’s update. Also, once again this past Saturday, our AVID Club students spent part of their morning decorating at Heritage Square. Upcoming volunteer opportunities will be Heritage Square, Tutor Trot at Blackstock Jr. High, and Rescue Mission.
VISUAL AND PERFORMING ARTS
- Illustration and life drawing: designing posters to express ideas in visually compelling formats.
- Visual Art: Each student is designing their own font.
- Art Appreciation: students have constructed medieval “tripychs” signifying the medieval world view.
- Students are using our newly installed Photoshop CS6 to create projects.
- Essay’s in progress.
- Computer Literacy is working toward earning their required graduation credits.
- Wrapping up our field show season with our last two shows at OHS (11/8) and Moorpark HS (Nov. 15). Hoping for a championships berth.
- New music for parades (Oxnard 12/6; Camarillo 12/13).
- Music Appreciation – Instruments of the Orchestra.
- Choir– Sight singing and Bruno Marz Medley.
- Mariachi– Adding to concert repertoire.
Curriculum taught this week:
- NS1: National Guard Brief
- NS2, 3 & 4: National Guard Brief
- 12 Nov: National Guard Recruiters will give a presentation to the Cadets
- Briefed CAPT Vasquez (CO NBVC) on the NJROTC Program
- Precision Drill (Marching)
- Physical Fitness
- Uniform Inspection
- 17 Nov: 20 Cadets will visit the Reagan Presidential Library
- 6 Dec: NJROCT Field Meet at Santa Ana High School
Group flow charts for nomenclature in Science class.
Spanish NS-3 students are currently learning about Muralism, the mexican muralist Diego Rivera, David Alfaro Siqueiros, Jose Clemente Orozco. Mrs. Casillas-Guerrero and Mrs. Lewis have taught them about the Revolutionary period, the murals and how to analize/appreciate the time period. All students in the NS-3 classes will be creating murals in groups.
NS-2 students are currently working on a story called “Cajas de Carton”. They will also be creating Maquetas as a final project.
Spanish 3 regular is working and learning about Directions, road signs in Spanish. They are working on orals directions with partners.
The Freshman Football Team got it started on the “other school” yesterday. Your Vikings defeated C I by a score of 36-8 and that is with 2 touchdowns being called back. This means we have defeated C I twice this year. The first game ending with a score of 49-12.
On November 6, 2014 , Rosa Soliz and Pablo Gallegos took our Cross Country team out to College Park to compete in the 2014 Pacific View League Cross Country Championships, and the Vikings did not disappoint. Here are some highlights from our CC meet:
- Rosio Villalpando took 1st place in the Varsity Girls race, and was crowned 2014 PVL Cross Country Champion. ( a first for HHS)
- Clara Hernandez placed 4th to earn 1st team All-PVL Honors.
- The HHS Girls Varsity team placed 2nd in PVL competition, and earned a berth to the CIF playoffs on 11/15/14.
- The HHS boys Varsity team placed 1st at league finals, and were crowned 2014 PVL Cross Country Champions.
- Juan Martinez and Ricardo Hernandez respectively finished 2nd and 3rd place to earn 1st team All-PVL Honors.
- Luis Villalpando and Gildardo Baltazar finished 8th & 11th place to earn 2nd team All-PVL Honors.
Link to news article in VC Star: